Welcome to the new way we are doing school.

Learning for your children online

Class website

Needless to say this kind of teaching is an about face for me. I am still trying to get my head around it. So much of how I teach is based on what I see in the class and the needs of each child as we do activities in class. I am not at all embarrassed to say that this way of teaching is overwhelming me.

At this moment I am thinking that I will put a learning plan for your child on this website, about once a week. Feel free to email me any questions or comments about the learning plan . What may seem really clear to me may not come across as I write it down. The first post will be lengthy as it will include both the plan and how it works. I am hoping to put an outline of a week's activities here and it will include links to documents that explain the activities in detail.

Zoom meetings

I will use Zoom so I can see and hear what the children are doing. I am thinking I will try for a class Zoom that will be Wednesdays at 1:00 or Fridays at 11:00 and I will let you know in advance. (This will definitely not be every Wednesday or Friday, those are the slots we decided on as a staff). Most of the time, I want to have smaller groups meetings.

For the smaller sessions, I am thinking that I will email a link to a sign up document so we can fit sessions into everyone's unique situation. These sessions will be throughout the week. Please don't look for this right away. I will get to the smaller sessions but it is taking time to wrap my brain around it all.

Ed Inform

Ed Inform will continue to be a part of our work. From time to time, I will ask you to video or take pictures of your child so I can get and give feedback through Ed Inform, outside the Zoom meetings. This will help me as I get to report card time.  Please check that your log in is still active for Ed Inform.  If you need a password resent please contact me ASAP.

Please don't send me pictures and video before I ask. I am slowly making my way forward and am learning and trying things as I go.

Open ended learning


My classroom has A LOT of hands on learning and I want to continue that type of learning at home, I also want to have the activities ones that the students can complete on their own with things in your home. Most of the learning activities will use toys, paper, pencil and crayons. I know many parents are still working either from home or out in the community so you are juggling a lot right now.

I am here to provide ideas, guidance for you and your child during this time. The learning plan is based on activities we would do in class and extend the thinking and learning we have already sone together.  That being said, it is worth repeating that if something doesn't get done, it is not worth feeling pressured to finish before the next set of activities. I will send similar activities another week, we loop back to activities all the time in class. The very worst case scenario... you have ideas for long summer days 😀.

Please do not feel that because "the teacher" has sent work home that it is a priority or needs to be done in the sequence I send or even every day. Everyone's situation is unique right now. The children have their own rhythms and interests as well. Learning will continue to happen regardless. All the children world wide are in the same situation and we, as teachers, will meet each child's needs when we see them again. Relatively speaking, these months are a small amount of time in your child's overall school journey (which is 130 months from K-12)!


"Office" hours

Sitting and working at a desk is new for me, as you may imagine. Given the realities of this new environment, I want to let you know that I will respond to emails before 9 in the morning and around 1 in the afternoon. This frees me to make content, set up Zoom meeting for kids, collaborate with colleagues on line, create and upload content to the website as we move forward in this new world.

As always please email me questions, concerns or just reach out and say Hi! As we are hearing over and over again, "we are all in this together".





Popular posts from this blog

Information about our class

Our First Full Week!

Art Cards, Science and Social Studies